Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Voodoo Vixen Kitty Dress Review

Dresses are one of my favorite wardrobe staples.  I wear them more often than anything else because I find them to be a lovely and easy way to look great without a ton of effort, plus I have a terrible time finding comfortable pants that fit my hourglass shape.  I am always on the lookout for new styles, companies and prints, thankfully the last few years have seen a massive expansion in availability of plus size fashion.   I was fortunate enough to win my choice of any Voodoo Vixen dress in a recent Facebook sharing competition. Cue the dorky happy dance!!!!  Voodoo Vixen recently expanded their vintage range into plus sizes and I have been lusting after several of their styles.  While their plus selection is limited, it was a still a difficult choice, the patterns, cut and styling of the dresses makes them all desirable to me, I admit, I am a bit of a dress addict.  I really liked the Tilly and Hattie dresses but after much consideration I decided against another floral pattern as I do own mostly floral dresses.  Finally I asked my husband which was his favorite of the styles I had it narrowed down to, after I had spent over an hour agonizing over the choice, he quickly chose the Kitty dress as he is a cat lover.  I was drawn to the unique slit neckline and the fact that this adorable cat print was completely different than anything else in my wardrobe.  I ordered a size 2x based on their size chart measurements and it fits me perfectly.

I LOVE this dress, its so FUN!
Fairy tale garden gazebo on the grounds of the Grand Rapids Home for Veterans

  The material is soft and comfortable with just enough stretch.  The pink is a pretty shade of bubblegum that is feminine, but not too girly or bright.  I love the whimsical print, retro-styled black cats accented by atomic styled swooshes, stars and star bursts in white and black.  The neckline is scooped with three slit cutouts accented with satiny black contrast piping that makes the slits stand out against the pink material, the same material is covering the buttons that run down the front of the dress.  The slit neckline is flattering to the bust-line and eye catching without being immodest, the dress closes with a hidden side zipper.  The belt is slim, made of a satiny material with silver grommets and a fabric buckle, it helps to draw the eye to the waistline.  The belt has one small issue, the loop is stationary and attached just past the buckle so if you have a narrow waist the belt end will hang down if it is not fastened, I used a safety pin to remedy this.  The skirt is full and finished with handy pockets slit front pockets trimmed with black piping.  I love the addition of the pockets not only as a cute accent but because they are functional and convenient, I was happy to be able to carry my cell phone and lipstick in my pocket!  I prefer to wear a petticoat and this skirt is not quite a full circle but big enough to accommodate a large petticoat. I wore it with a Malco Modes Michelle crinoline in black and accessorized with vintage gloves, wedges and hat at The Freedom Flag benefit for the Grand Rapids Home for Veterans with Pinups for Patriots.  It was a hot humid day but the flowers were blooming and the grounds of the Vetarans Home is beautifully landscaped.  I enjoyed a nice time visiting with veterans, listening to live music and spending time with my fabulous Michigan Pinups for Patriots sisters, such a diverse and amazing group of ladies.  What a privilege it is to represent Pinups for Patriots and honor our veterans!

 Photo: Dennis Buttermore of Vintage Glamor.  From Left: Lily Tigress, Beth BelleAire, Mrs. Belvidere, Lacy Lane, Ginger Snaps, Wendy Dae and Sassy Scarlet

I have also worn this dress without a petticoat to church and it looked just as lovely.  The Kitty dress is a very wearable vintage style, comfortable and versatile.  It can be worn casual or dressed up to suit your own unique style.  I have received compliments each time I have worn it and inquiries about the brand of dress, many people have asked because they thought it was an original vintage dress.


With the beautiful Mrs. Belvidere

With the gorgeous Wendy Dae
 Voodoo Vixen has great customer service, beautiful vintage inspired designs, quality merchandise and the news that they are working to further expand their plus size line means that there are only more great things coming!  Thanks Voodoo Vixen!  What is your favorite dress from Voodoo Vixen?! 

Be sure to follow me on Facebook and Instagram for more exciting news, pictures and fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment