Thursday, December 31, 2015

Sassy Scarlet's 2015 year in review!!

2015 has been an amazing year for me!  I decided to start modeling and blogging full time in February.  It was a huge decision for me, I have never been a gal that considered herself great looking and being plus sized I thought, there's just no way I could be a model.  What changed my life was a combination of things.  The first was fun photoshoots introducing me to supportive women who were confident enough to lift one another up.  The second was Vintage style inspiration from ladies like Miss Victory Violet, Amelia and June from Junebugs and Georgia Peaches, The Cherry Dollface, She Might Be Loved and Pin Up Persuasion.  Reading their blogs, watching tutorial videos and seeing their style inspired me to be confident in my own sense of style!  I have dreamed of dressing vintage my entire life, first the lack of items in my size stopped me, later, it was a lack of self confidence but I can say with 100% certainty that I have never felt more confident in myself, my entire life, being a pinup has changed me forever!!  I have gotten so many incredible opportunities, met fantastic people and really surprised myself by smashing through my own personal barriers.  I have grown so much and through it all the most important thing has been having the support of my family, friends, the amazing companies that took a chance on a newcomer and my fabulous fans, I cannot thank everyone enough for believing in me!  The thing that drives me is a belief that each person is a unique universe of personality and beauty, meeting people and seeing this beauty adds so much richness to my life, I cannot wait to see what 2016 has in store!!

Here is a look back:
 I was honored to be published in my favorite magazine, Vintage Life as Miss March!

Photo: Decadence Dolls




Bearpaw Madeline Boots and a couple photobomb poms!
Bearpaw Scarlet Moccasins
I became an ambassador for Bearpaw.  I love their comfortable, high quality boots, shoes and accessories so this was a dream for me!

Photo: Put A Smile In It Photography.  Dress: Hell Bunny.  Hair Flower: Daisy Jean Floral Designs
I had a wonderful time working with Brandy from Put A Smile In It Photography this year!  We shot some unforgettable photos and I met so many beautiful Michigan pinups that I now call dear friends!


Pinups For Patriots Michigan at the Red Cross Hometown Heroes Gala
Pinups For Patriots Michigan at The Grand Rapids Home for Veterans.
Pinups For Patriots Michigan Chapter
Dress: Voodoo Vixen Kitty
Dress: Hell Bunny Motley Sailor.  Brooch: Glitter Paradise Shark Bomb.
I had an amazing year being a part of Pinups For Patriots.  We went to some really incredible events all over our glorious state and met amazing veterans.  It was a privilege to serve and I cannot wait to have more adventures with my Pinups For Patriots Michigan chapter sisters this coming year!


Enjoying a stroll on the beach of Lake Michigan in my very first dress from Pinup Girl Clothing, The Ella in Mary Blair Lips and Roses Lavender.
There are few things I love more than traveling across Michigan seeing the vast, wondrous beauty of my home state and sharing it with others!




I impressed myself by smashing through some of my own boundaries this year, I took chances and really went outside of my comfort zone but it was well worth it!  The biggest moment for me personally this year was entering the Grand Rapids Metro Cruise Pinup Competition.  It was a truly special experience for me that led to so much personal growth, I was terrified but I overcame my fears and walked the stage confidently.  I was proud to place in the top ten but most importantly I made friends for life of the ladies I was privileged to compete with.


Dress: Grace in Silver Lace C/O Vivien of Holloway

Brooch: Tweetheart C/O The Moby Duck
Dress: Whoopie Pie in the Sky C/O Katrina Parker Frocks
Brooch: Oscar Wildenfox C/O Erstwilder
Purse: Suzy Sailor Bowler Bag C/O Fluff
Dress: Aurora C/O Ains & Elke StyleHaus.  Accessories: The Great Pumpkin Waltz Brooch and Earrings C/O Summer Blue Jewelry
Dress: Santa Baby C/O Blueberry Hill Fashions.  Tights: Emerald Green Plus Tights C/O We Love Colors
I was overwhelmed by how many fabulous companies were kind enough to take a chance on a small town Michigan girl. Biggest Thank you's to: Vivien of Holloway, Erstwilder, Katrina Parker Frocks, The Moby Duck, Summer Blue Jewelry, Ains & Elke StyleHaus, Fluff, We Love Colors, Bandelettes and Blueberry Hill Fashions.  I was blessed to collaborate with so many brands that I had been a customer or admirer of for years.  Writing these reviews has been a pleasure and I cannot wait to bring you even more vintage style in the New Year!!!

Location: Forest Home Cemetery in Greenville, Michigan.  Dress: SWAK Designs Harlow Lace Dress
Renee Ricket Photography and I have forged an amazing partnership that was, ironically, born among the tombstones in the beautiful Forest Home Cemetery.  Our mutual love of the historic cemetery led to many conversations, crazy ideas and a friendship were formed.  I am thrilled to have shot not only some one of a kind photos with Renee but we have also teamed up to do event shoots so we can help ladies celebrate their unique beauty.  2016 will see even more crazy shoots together so stay tuned, you never know what we will come up with next!!
Photos: Renee Ricket Photography.  Swimsuit: Torrid.  Necklace: Bo & Betty Sparrow C/O Erstwilder
Swimsuit: Torrid.  Necklace: Bo & Betty Sparrow C/O Erstwilder.  Shoes: Calla C/O Bearpaw


Photo: Horvath Photo.  Dress: Ravishing Lace Wrap Dress C/O Kiyonna.  Brooch: Oak Leaves and Acorns in Rose Gold C/O The Moby Duck
I was thrilled to become a part of the Kiyonna Blogger Brigade.  Kiyonna is one of the very best plus size clothing lines available, I have been a customer and fan of their designs for several years and I cannot wait to review more of their lovely clothing for you!

Location: Anderson & Girl's Orchard in Stanton, Michigan. Photo: Horvath Photo.  Dress: Pinup Girl Clothing.  Accessories: The Moby Duck
I was thrilled to be able to shoot in some of my favorite locations.  I have lived in rural mid-Michigan my entire life spending most of it around these small towns that are beloved to me.  I love the rich history, beautiful surroundings and fabulous local businesses of our area.  Highlighting my Michigan home is a pleasure because I would not live anywhere else on Earth!
Photos: Horvath Photo.  Dress: Marilyn Reproduction Dress C/O Blueberry Hill Fashions
I shot some of my most memorable photos in the beauty of nature with the wonderful Jessica from Horvath Photo.  Jessica and I have a ton of fun running around outside together and I cannot wait to work together on even more projects in the coming year!

Going into 2016, I have great plans for the future of Sassy Scarlet.  I am expanding the scope of my blog in the next year, I will be writing about my travels around my home state of Michigan.  I will be highlighting my favorite towns, businesses, restaurants & more as well as more pinup photoshoot goodness and the vintage fashion you love.  2015 has been a wonderful year, I cannot wait to carry this positive momentum into 2016!!  Happy New Year!!

1 comment:

  1. What a fantastic year you had! I am in love with all these photos. This post just made my day. I also attended various parties last year. The best one was my friend’s wedding at one of prettiest vintage party venues in Italy. We had loads of fun.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment